Sunday 11 November 2012

DOMINATRIX

This is not an exit- AMERICAN PSYCHO, Bret Easton Ellis

---------


Yes. I have had sex with a professional dominatrix. Although, in hindsight, it wasn’t quite how I was expecting it to be. It wasn’t as systematic and well thought out as the scenes on Kink (and yes, if you’ve bought this book, you know exactly what I’m talking about) but it was a good experience. Painful, but good, nonetheless.
I’ll let your minds wander for a while as I exercise a little Post-Empire for my previous readers which include American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis.
As far as I can recall, I was not sexually abused as a child. I was an altar boy at my local Catholic Church, though. I enjoyed the ritual and mystical aspects of the incense and candles and the parading of the cross. I used to know the structure of the Catholic mass off by heart. I took my first Holy Confession when I was about seven or eight. What did I confess? I wasn’t too sure what to confess. I hadn’t really ever done anything. I told the priest (it was held in the staff room of my Catholic primary school) that I had told my sister to shut up. I think I had to recite a Hail Mary. How did I feel afterwards? A little used. The priest (who I won’t name) wound up having an affair with a married teacher at the school, which gave the local newspapers something to write about. She ended up dying of a brain tumour after giving birth to his child. God got his own back in the end. As funny as this sounds to Atheists (they have quite a heightened sense of irony) sometimes I think about him. He must have felt like it was a divine punishment. How could he not have even entertained that possibility? The carnal pleasures of the flesh that robbed him of his relationship with God ends with a baby and the death of the only woman he’d probably ever touched. It was one of the many secrets that my primary school kept close within its ranks. Reminds me of the time when there had been a prowler on the grounds. My sister (nine years old) was talking about it, and I was happily reaching the final level of Super Mario on the Gameboy.
“Mum, what’s rake?” She asked. “There’s a raker at school.”
Mum cleared her throat. “Rape.”
I paused the game. “What’s a raper then, mummy?” I asked.
“Yeah,” my sister said. “What’s a raper?”
It’s funny thinking back on this, because I’ve actually known quite a few rapists. I recently was released from The Tarn in Woolwich, a secure psychiatric unit. Everybody else in there, all the ‘clients’ as they’re called, were serious sexual and violent offenders. Except me. I was there for self-harm. I sliced up my arms with the smashed mirror in my room in Green Parks House, Farnborough, the acute ward I know better than anybody. The day before six nurses had tried to kill me with a forced overdose of Olanzapine and Lorazepam. They laughed at me as my mouth started to involuntarily close from the medication. When I wouldn’t bow down to their dominance, I was shipped off in a blackened box in the back of a police van to the secure unit. Out of sight, out of mind, I suppose. I had had a nervous breakdown after the Dark Knight Rises massacre in Colorado. I vomited after I had the horrifying inspiration that maybe James Holmes had read my first novel. I decided to punish myself and forced my mother to drive me to Green Parks. I thought I would get them to kill me if I acted like a violent psychopath. I am not a violent psychopath. But my performance was clearly convincing enough to inspire laughter from their end as I lay on the floor of the doctor’s office and the medication started to kick in, whispering a line from Marilyn Manson’s Born Villain:
“You don’t even want to know what I’m gonna do to you now..”
*

I pop outside for a cigarette. Me and Raf have gone to London to see The Shining at the BFI in Embankment and are killing time in a Costas in the West End. I am listening to Ready to Die by Notorious B.I.G, dressed in the height of non-fashion with cheap Reebok Classics, no-make jeans, a few hoodies and a ten quid beanie. Window shopping rich girls and getting uneasy looks (which of course pleases me) from up-market businessmen and middle class kids suffering the latest fashion craze with floppy hair, ironic T-shirts, oversized fluorescent sneakers and pipe-cleaner trousers. It seems that Generation Wuss (as Bret Easton Ellis has dubbed the new crop of ‘talent’) genuinely believe wearing Dr Dre headphones will actually help them crack the music industry. They’re still unaware that the music industry ceased to exist in the late nineties and is now a fully-fledged, fully operational entertainment industry, and it doesn’t matter how many plays you get on your MySpace/Soundcloud account, it all depends on how many cocks you suck or how easy you are to sell. Saying that though, if you crack YouTube you’re pretty much guaranteed a few thousand record sales. There is nothing genuine. There is nothing real. There is only commercial savvy and an ability to swallow your ego. Nobody is bigger than the competition. It’s an X Factor world. Deal with it. It’s the age of Justin Bieber, not Jeff Buckley. I can’t see that changing any time soon, if ever. We’re so atomised we’re not only a post-digital age, but a post-dating and (tragically) post-literature age as well. Out of the crowd I see a tall, distinguished man with a grey beard, prominent nose, iPod earphones in and a haunted look in his eyes. I realise it’s Stephen Fry. His fashion is impeccable, the sort of fashion that actually is high fashion, tailor made suits, three thousand pound scarf, shoes that cost more than my annual benefit income. I inhale on my cigarette, smiling wryly as he purposefully heads on toward Piccadilly Circus. I once read in an interview with Clint Eastwood that said he never slows down in a crowd, especially if he’s noticed. It’s funny. Stephen Fry is blocking me on Twitter. He looks good though, he’s lost weight, poor lamb. I finish my cigarette and wander back downstairs to Raf who’s fiddling with his Blackberry in the back corner. I pour myself another cup of breakfast tea from my half empty pot.
“Dude,” I say, taking out my earphones. “Guess who I just saw.”
“Avril Lavigne?”
“I wish,” I say wistfully. “Stephen Fry.”
I describe the encounter.
“Yeah, he has lost weight, and it probably was, y’know, he’d be out and about up here.”
“He’s one of the celebrities who are blocking me on Twitter.”
“Celebrities? More than one?”
“Yeah. Ricky Gervais won’t let me retweet him, E.L James is blocking me, Stephen Fry, The Literary Review, and Bret Easton Ellis’s boyfriend.”
Raf grins. “You’re just a little Twitter troll aren’t you.”
I sip my tea. “Dude, I’m the fucking God of Twitter trolls...”
I start to ponder on 2012, the worst year of my life. If I told you, you’d never believe me…

A.W.M 11/11/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment